Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Alumni Update

Hello everyone, Coach Brady Moore here again. I know I have ran into some of you this past weekend and I am trying my best to keep the blog up and going. Have been really busy since we have been back from Hawaii with teaching my classes, getting our guys ready to play and Christmas shopping. Okay maybe not shopping but I do have to say I am done shopping for Christmas presents for the year. How many of you can say that??? But I will say I am going to start to updating this much more now that I do have time. So on with some updates.

This past weekend was again our alumni game and alumni weekend. I would have to say it was a huge success as we had more alumni come back for this event then any other alumni weekend that I have been a part of. So that is great to see. It was awesome not only seeing so many of the players but also their family members. We have been blessed here at WSU to have not only great players but great families that support our guys.

As for the game itself. The purple team won by 2 80-78. (I think this was the first year in a long time that no team broke 100 points) It was a close game throughout but Josh Schneider was able to get a rebound and bucket with six seconds left in the game for the win. While their were not stats kept I think it was safe to say David Zellmann was the leading scorer for both squads. Not far behind him had to be Justin Treptow for the grey squad as he played very well. Also Jon Urbach, Kyle Schlaak, Eric Plitzuweit and Mark Tripp had nice games for the grey team. Others on the purple team who played very well were Matt Lingenfeltser, Pat Hayes III, Brent Riese and Brian Puls. Acutally everyone played very well and it was a fun game to watch. Unfortunately not everyone was able to play in the game. Zach Malvik, John Smith and Scott Adams were all out due to injury but were in attendance.

Now for some updates on some of the guys that were in attendance.

John Smith - John was back for both nights. I am sure those around this weekend were able to grab him for a second but if you were not John is still with the Iowa Energy. He currently is on the injured reserve list with a quad injury. He said it was the first time he has injured his quad so it was different but he is close to being back with the team. Right now he is limited to a lot of shooting in practice he said but hopes to be back to full contact soon. He likes it down there as he has some people he knows in David Zellmann and Brandon Stromer but he said he really misses Winona. And I know his mom does too!

Zach Malvik - Zach is currently not able to play due to a foot injury. The injury is really a mystery as they cannot figure out what exactly is wrong or what is causing the pain. Last week he met with his doctor here in Winona and they are hoping to have some answers soon. While he is not able to play Zach is still keeping active in basketball by coaching a 3-4th grade team in La Crosse along with doing individual workouts for players looking to improve their game. He is hoping to be back on the floor soon.

Quincy Henderson - Q was not able to make it this weekend but he is currently working over in Milwaukee. I have talked to him here some and I am not sure what his job actually is as we always get off the subject and end up talking hoops. I know he misses the game and Winona very much. Expect to see him back for a weekend in January.

Brent Riese - Brent is still in Winona here finishing up school. He will graduate this coming week and then start looking for a job. Congrats Brent on getting your degree!

Jonte' Flowers - I have not heard much from him lately but I have heard he is still doing well over seas. I heard he has a great action picture online that his team took of him but I have not seen it. Also I guess he is going back to his high school days as he is growing his hair out again. I liked that look Jonte'. You can check up on him by following our links area.

David Zellmann - Dave is currently in Des Moines, Iowa working for John Deere in the accounting department. He and his wife are expecting their first child at the end of March which they are very excited about. He still is playing a ton of basketball down in Des Moines as he is in 2 leagues right now. After watching him this weekend I can still see that he can shoot it.

Brandon Stromer - Bradon is currently working for the men's basketball program down at Drake University. He is in his second year as a graduate assistant for them and is really enjoying being a part of the program. He is getting his masters in education.

Jeff O'Donnell - Is working back in his hometown of Rushford, MN in financial planning.

Jon Urbach - Is working in Chicago with an investment firm. Sounds like he really likes what he is doing and is happy to be back in the Midwest after a couple years out east in Boston.

Chad Barfknecht - Chad graduated this past summer from Palmer College of Chiropractic and is now looking to open up his own practice some where near the Winona/LaCrosse area. After 3 long years of school Chad was happy to finally be done with school.

Pat Hayes III- Is still teaching and coaching up in Waconia, Mn. His teams have been some of the top teams in 3AAA the past couple of years and it sounds like this year should be another good one for him as he has some nice young players.

Justin Treptow - Justin finished up his master's degree from WSU this past summer and is now a principal here in the area. I cannot remember what school, sorry Justin.

Brian Puls - Brian is back in his hometown of Richland Center and is in his first year as the head coach of the high school squad.

Eric Plitzuweit - Eric had to give up coaching over at JM in Rochester because he started a new job within the administration for the Rochester school district.

Well that is about all the updates that I have right now. I know I have a couple of others and when they come to me I will post them. Check back in the morning for our Get To Know Our Warriors section. Thanks everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment